1/20/2006

Chapter 18 - Vientiane, Laos


This chapter will be short and a little boring because I only spent 24 hours in Vientiane. However I haven't skipped a city yet and won't start now. I signed up for Kayaking down the river toward Vientiane, which was fun.

________________
The next day I walked around Vientiane with my camera to grab a few photos to show y'all.



This one is called "That Dam Wat"



This big thing demonstrates communist architecture at its ugliest. However it has a good lookout over the city.



I also had time to wander through a market.





English grammar books. I didn't know anybody actually reads these things. Education is definitely valued more here because it provides tangible improvement in one's quality of life. A belief many of my students in San Diego will probably never grasp. ___________________________

This is the biggest Wat in Laos and their national symbol. If you want to know what its called, look it up your damn self; I'm on vacation.


My plane to Hanoi. Laos was a great country and I strongly reccomend it for the laid back traveler. The people are very nice, everything is extremely cheap, and I had heaps of fun.

-Thanks for Reading-


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just caught up on your journey; glad to see Howard is following your trip. I really want to get the lowdown on all the water sports! Keep up the blog.
Ron

Anonymous said...

Dear Nephew
You have far more guts than I do n I spent 20 yrs in that part of the world - only 2 questions "what the H are u eating" and "what has happened to yr digestive tract?". Last thing, from now on stay away from chicken for while - don't want any bird flu - dog/cat stew is even better than bird flu! You are an inspiration to all of us! Love B.