2/21/2006

Chapter 26 - Koh Tao, Thailand

When I planned this trip I intentionally saved Southern Thailand for last. It has such a good reputation that I was afraid I might not want to leave. So my plan is to relax and charge the batteries. On the eastern coast of Thailand are three islands that are big for tourism. The northernmost, Koh Tao, is especially known for scuba diving. Although I'm not a diver, I enjoyed snorkeling in Australia and wanted to give it another go. After a long night on the bus from Bangkok, and another few hours on a boat, I arrived on this little island.


It has a nice little main street with dozens of diving tour businesses.
I stayed in a cheapo guesthouse on Sairee beach. It was very quiet during the day because everybody and their mother was out scuba diving. It was just me and the stray dogs.
The nights were very nice. There are plenty of little bungalow type restaurants on the beach.
There are many torches and people spinning these fireballs around on chains. Not surprisingly my pictures didn't come out, but maybe you get the idea.
One morning I took a walk to the north end of the island and took these pictures.




Another day I entertained myself by going on a hike up to one of the lookouts on a mountain.


This view is looking north, so those little islands are the two from the previous pictures.
Years ago somebody tried to open a teahouse on the top of the mountain. It was boarded up, but I admire their ambition.
Here's is a decent shot of me standing on top of Koh Tao.
Yet, I wish I could change just one thing about it.
Better!
But it still needs something. Hmmm...

Perfect! Her name is Babbette. We're in love.
Next stop, Koh Phanan
-Thanks for reading-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to meet Babette...strangley she has an ocean in her background...? Very Cute Anderson! The first pic was perfect though. I thought you might like to know that I have set two of your pics to my monitors background...they're all spectacular and I'm looking forward to your many tails. See you soon!! XOXO-Heart, Jess*N*Demetri