4/02/2006

Chapter 31 - Jaipur, India



Jaipur is called the "Pink City." Some parts look faded pink, but mostly I'd call it a "Brown City." I think that Jaipur gives a more accurate portrayal of India than does Delhi, which has been described to me as "not really India." Jaipur is great for people watching. Plus, they watch you back. The children look with these big curious eyes. The older boys try to impress each other by approaching and striking up a conversation. I'm happy to oblige. The women don't talk, and sometimes try to hide their eyes behind their saris (veils). The young men have one of two looks. Option 1: they are salivating, hoping to get at your wallet. Every so often you get option 2: they stand there with this tough guy look as if to say "Pahhth, who is this tourist guy walking around with his torn dirty shirt and his short pants? You don't impress me." I agree. I'm not a particularly impressive sight. Indian men are almost always wearing pressed long pants and a button shirt. Finally, the old men look as if they couldn't give a damn about anything (pretty much like old men everywhere). You definitely can't get bored in a place like this.

Where's Waldo?

The Maharaja heard that I was coming so he put together a welcome parade. I thought it was a bit showy, but a nice gesture nevertheless.


Jaipur's biggest pot dealer!

Bada-BING!...[tap-tap]...Is this thing on?


This is a part of the old Maharaja's palace.




He had these little windows built facing the street so that his wives could have a view.

This guy had a LOT of wives.

This minaret has a spiral path inside that you can climb up for a good view of the city.





Juice vendors. Jamba Juice, lookout!

This picture captures the place better than any other.

India is a very photogenic country. In just one day I have about 30 good shots from Jaipur. Unfortunately the Internet speeds are very slow here, so that's all you're gonna get for now. Next up is Udaipur.

-Thanks for Reading-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool

Anonymous said...

I want to be there - one of the 2 places that I truly want to get to someday! Pls take LOTS of pictures! Lots of love!