3/02/2006

Chapter 27- Koh Phangan, Thailand

I could move here. In fact, after this big trip is over this may be my new home. At least for a year or two. Let me show you why.
If anybody hasn't heard of Google Earth, it's a free program that lets you look at satellite photos of almost anywhere on earth. Right now we're going to freefall from outer space to my spot on the beach.
3...2...1...GO!

Koh Phangan is a small island but it has over a dozen separate beaches. Most are quiet and romantic, but Babbette and I were in the mood to party. On the southern tip is Hat Rin, which is famous for huge full moon parties.
What makes this little town unique is that it has a beach facing west and a beach facing east. You can watch the sunrise and sunset over the ocean in the same town.

Hit the target
Contact. Pretty cool huh?
Its a good spot in the universe. Young people from all over world recovering from their respective hangovers. Its mostly a hippy/rave crowd. Lots of tattoos, dreadlocks, surf clothes, and "cool". The soundtrack is either Jack Johnson or some Euro-trance-elevator music. Call me old fashioned, but I still believe that girls shouldn't have dreadlocks and guys shouldn't walk around with man-purses. But hey, that's just me.


People stay active by juggling all sorts of stuff. The guy in the yellow shirt is spinning around tennis balls that are attached to chains. If he gets really good, he'll switch to spinning fireballs. I'll show how cool that can get later.

The waves a nice but too small to surf.

Bungalows like this are a pretty common type of residence. Some people just move in permanently. If Koh Phangan were an independent country, the hammock would be it's national symbol. It sums up the chilled out laziness that is Koh Phangan.
This is the quieter beach on the southwestern side of Hat Rin. The walk was worthy of a few pictures.








I would love this picture but it gives me flashbacks. I was walking along when I saw a man with a G-STRING speedo! You're gay, I get it. But did I need to see that?Here are some Israelis playing volleyball. There are lots of Israelis in Hat Rin. They only travel in packs and have a reputation for isolating themselves from others.
This pool was for hotel guests only. So you know what I did? I went swimming anyway! I said: "To hell with you and your rules, Mr. Man!" I'm such a radical, somebody stop me before I hurt myself.

Now let's walk around town. It's the model backpacker village.



There are plenty of restaurants with big-screen TV's. They'll usually play American television shows or movies. Try to guess what is on right now.

You may be thinking "Why would Brian put a dead dog in his blog?" Don't worry, he's just sleeping. All over town the dogs insist on sleeping in the middle of the street. Even the dogs are lazy.

I went to this gym to use the weights. In the middle there is a ring for Muay Thai boxing classes. I beat up the guy on the left without breaking a sweat, but the big blonde guy took a little bit of effort. The trainer wanted to recruit me but I told him I'm more of a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu kind of a guy.
All this violence stressed me out. The western beach is where I could watch the sunset.



The real Hat Rin comes to life around 11 p.m. The crowds would gather at the bars on the eastern beach. The main attraction is the fire jugglers. They find all sorts of ways to play with fire. They have these torches attached to chains about 3 feet long. They would swing them around, under their legs, throw them in the air, and crazy stuff I can't even describe. There are also guys who spin staffs that are burning at both ends. They can get those going so fast you can hear the wind. They also get the crowd involved with burning limbo and jumping through burning rings. That kind of audience participation just wouldn't be possible in the litigious world. The crowds would sit around on the beach and literally drink buckets of alcohol. Check out the wasted girl who had too many buckets.


_________________________
Next Day
North of Hat Rin there is a pathway that leads over the mountain and to some beaches along the east coast. Here's the route.


Steep





This was taken from the point on the map marked with a red dot.




The trail finally ended at this resort that has no roads leading to it. Nice place for a quiet meditation or for honeymooners, but not for moi. After a nap I took the boat taxi back to Hat Rin.



Of all the beach towns I've visited in my life, this is the best. I spent about a week altogether and I can't wait to come back with friends. Is anyone interested in joining me?
The ferry back to mainland.
-Thanks for reading-

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks like an incredible place; is it prettier than Hawaii or other exotic places or is it the carefree atmosphere that appeals to you? Keep up the good work; many of us are living vicariously through your adventures.
Ron