1/31/2006

Chapter 21 - Nha Trang, Vietnam


Thank God for Nha Trang. I was having a hard time putting a positive spin on Vietnam. You see, northern Vietnam is the equivalent to the Northeast in the U.S. Worse weather, busier, and people seem stressed out because they work too hard. (Sorry Shep, and everyone else who loves the east coast, but I gotta say it like I see it) When I got off the train in Nha Trang it was like stepping out of the San Diego airport. Ahhhhh. Warmness.

There are blue skies and the buildings have color instead of the cold gray of the north. There are also chill mountains that sit outside the city and on the horizon over the ocean.



I felt more at home and could even handle the walking vendors trying to annoy you to the point that you buy something from them. Sure, these kids may look cute, but don't be deceived. They can potentially make life a nightmare for tourists in Vietnam. This woman made the first mistake in my newly developed Strategic Plan to Enjoy Vietnam.


Strategic Plan to Enjoy Vietnam
1. Don't be nice. This may sound cruel, but being nice and saying things like "I'm sorry" actually make them feel closer to a sale and more likely to persist.

2. Don't make eye contact. If you make eye contact with walking vendors you may as well pull out your wallet and shake money at them. They will target you from three blocks away if they can see your eyes.

3. Don't talk to them. If you must communicate, shake your head or wave with your hand. Conversation leads to questions like "Where you from?" or "Where you going?" Guess what: they don't give a damn. They are trying to establish a personal bond that will lead to a sale.

4. If you must talk, use humor instead of pity. I got a good result with this one lady by counting with my fingers every time I told her "No thank you"; she got up to eight before she figured out what I was doing. Then we laughed and she shuffled along.

5. Wear headphones at all times. I call this one my "silver bullet." If I can't hear them, I win. It's also pretty funny to point to your ears and comically act like you can't hear, when we both know that I'm just playing a game of my own.

Since enacting my Strategic Plan to Enjoy Vietnam I've been enjoying myself much more. They really can be interesting, enjoyable people if you can get past their relentless greed. Perhaps "greed" isn't the right word. Lets call it "ambition."

Now here is something you won't see in the States. Along the boardwalk this woman walks a talking scale that, for a fee, will print out a slip of paper with your height and weight. Huh? Here we see a girl getting measured in front of her boyfriend. This is one idea I know wouldn't transfer back to San Diego.


In order to maintain journalistic integrity I have to mention the glaring "fly in the soup" about Nha Trang. The beach is dirty. It looks like a trash barge sunk and covered the sand in litter. While the sidewalks have beautiful brickwork, fresh paint and neatly cut grass, and even sculptures; why don't they do something about the litter? I guess Vietnamese don't view trash in the same way that we do.


Otherwise, a really beautiful city. I rented a bike and saw some sights and took these pictures.

Sometimes I forget I'm in a communist country, but then they have these subtle reminders.

Obligatory Temple Picture

Reclining Buddha

Big Buddha


Li'l Buddhas










That's all for Nha Trang

Thanks for Reading

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really enjoying the pictures from Vietnam and your commentary. I must say, Brian, considering your political views, that your comments and emminently objective. I will really look forward to having you over for dinner so Ginger, Jess and I can hear things first hand.