4/19/2006

Chapter 36 - Darjeeling, India

First of all, sorry for neglecting the journal. I'm "off the grid" in a little Sikkimese town called Pelling, which has only one road, occasional electricity, and no Internet. I have to hike about a mile down the side of a mountain in order to get to the government building which has Internet. So here I am, catching up as best I can.

The Kolkata heat took the wind out of my sails, so I flew up to the northeast of India to find cooler weather and try to regain some enthusiam. It was one of the best decisions I could make. The temerature went from about 110 degrees in Kolkata to cool 50s and 60s up north in the Himalayas. I was happy again. The first stop was the city of Darjeeling, which is famous for growing tea. These are tea bushes. Excited yet?
From Darjeeling you can see the montrous Himalayan mountains. The biggest one in the distance behind me is called Mt. Katchendzonga, the third highest mountain in the world. It looks fake right?...Looks fake in person too.

I spent a few days just walking around Darjeeling breathing cool air and relaxing.
The roads are so rough up here that jeeps are the only way to get around. The jeep stand was chaos.

Kids going off to school. All students in India wear school uniforms, which is a terrific idea.

This is the public square, called Chow Rasta. The culture up here is very very laid back. For excitement, locals sit on benches in the Chow Rasta and just look at one another, and the tourists.




It rained alot, but I'll take that over heat anyday.

One of the Buddhist stupas where they say some pieces of Buddha are buried.








No matter where I go in India, no matter how beautiful, they still dump trash all over the place. It kills me, but I guess that's India.




My adopted pet "Teabone".
There is a temple with Tibetan prayer flags everywhere.
Its fun to watch the monkeys climbing in the prayer flags.



That's all for Darjeeling. I know it wasn't much, but stay tuned for the next episode, where I teach Sikkimese orphans. It's sure to be a ratings grabber. Here's a sneak preview.


Sally Struthers got nothin on me!

-Thanks for Reading-


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
Nice pictures. Thanks for visiting and sharing...

Rgds
Vedd Sampang