2/24/2007

Chapter 47 - Malawi

This was my route through Malawi.
Its the most chilled out country I've seen in Africa.


Damn I'm cool. I just wish I could have traded that guy for his Speedo.
The Malawian fishermen work hard as hell, and sometimes just pull in a handfull of fish the size of my thumb. And, I kid you not, most of the fishermen don't know how to swim. Some NGO should start giving swimming lessons.





I helped these guys pull in their net because I wanted a picture showing how deeply connected I am to the Malawian culture.

On this tour boat they threw fish in the water and big eagles would fly down to catch them.
Score!

This is my friend Amy on another tour boat.
At Liwonde Park Amy and I went on a canoe safari. It only cost 12 bucks and we got ridiculously close to Hippos and this Elephant. A great value for the amount of danger we got exposed to.
My best Elephant photo
My best nature photo of all-time.
The water was calm like a mirror.


This is Katy the Peace Corps volunteer. She learned to speak the local language of Chtechewa. It's a trip hearing her speak like an African to these kids. She is a Community Health Advisor, organizing HIV awareness events and such. Peace Corps volunteers are good people and give America a strong reputation with most Africans.

I found her house on Google earth. I'm always amazed by what this program is capable of finding. Her house is very fancy by Peace Corps standards. The larger building in front of her house is the hospital where she works. Further down the road that goes left is Malembo village and the waterfront.
This is where the villagers dry out the little sardine sized fish. It reeks a good deal.


Katy inspecting Avocadoes

Smiles for the camera


My bestest sunset photo.

So that's Malawi. It was definitely my favorite country in Africa.

-Thanks for reading-

1 comment:

marc aurel said...

more great pictures. I love your terse comments. So glad I stumbled on your blog.