2/17/2006

Chapter 24 - Angkor,Cambodia (Day 3)


Day 3
(Days one and two are already posted underneath this one)
Preah Khan


Neak Pean
This looked like a dried up public swimming pool. It was a series of interconnected pools and a circular island in the middle with a temple. It must have been a nice place to relax.




Ta Blah Blah

(can't remember)

This tree was one of the best I saw.

The kids are very persistent salespeople, but in an endearing way. They are all smiles and keep repeating the same phrase over and and over. "Sir, youbuybracelet, Sir, youbuybracelet, Sir, youbuybracelet, Sir, youbuybracelet"..... on and on and on. They also know the capital cities of most western countries and proudly show off their knowledge. Then ask again if you want a bracelet. I actually looked forward to getting hassled by these kids because they are hilarious.

I noticed a big difference between the Cambodian and Vietnamese sales techniques. In Vietnam they frown and pretend like they'll cry if you don't buy something. I don't like the guilt trip. In Cambodia, they have big genuine smiles. When I refuse to buy something, they keep on smiling and chatting with me. When they finally give up they say "Goodbye" or "Have a nice day." That's good technique and it makes my waaaaay more inclined to throw the kid some money. Vietnam, are you listening?

This is a typical house along the road in the Angkor area.


Banteay Samre
This was one of the nicest palaces. Very well preserved.


Pre Rup







King Norodom Sihamoni's Motorcade.

A police motorcycle drove by and pointed to the side of the road. My driver pulled over and shut off the engine and he told me that the King would be driving past. We were luckily on the right side of the road and he had his window down, so I got a quick picture. He had much less security than I expected. It was pretty cool.

That's all for Angkor folks. Final conclusion: the coolest place I've ever seen. I recommend it to everyone.

Now I'm off to southern Thailand.

-Thanks for reading-

No comments: