4/08/2006

Chapter 33 - Ahmadabad, India




I took off south from Udaipur on a morning bus. I was headed to Mumbai, but I wanted to spend the afternoon in Ahmadabad, which is on the way. This is where Ghandi started his movement against the British rule of India. He started an Ashram, which is a commune where the residents live clean, work hard, and pray a lot. Eventually this became a political movement called "Satyagraha". Today the Ashram is a very nice museum with plenty of benches and lawns to lay around and chill out. Take a look.Ghandi's house. You probably wouldn't see it on "Cribs", but that's the point.
The Ashram rules and philosophy are posted outside his door. This is Ghandi's handwriting.




The next picture is a quote by an American guy named Martin Luther King. This is where Ghandi's influence can be felt in our lives. He was the first guy to successfully use nonviolent protest in the modern world. This inspired much of the civil rights movement in America. Which led to everyone's personal liberties being protected by law, and why we have a culture that frowns on discrimination and applauds gay cowboy movies. Go Ghandi!

Another quote by somebody named Toynbee.

After the museum, I caught a night train to Mumbai. -The history lesson is over, you are dismissed-



1 comment:

ErikBlaine said...

Gandhi is my hero. I wish I could be there with you, brother.